-->

Monday, May 16, 2016

DIY // Painting Cabinet Hardware + Restoring Cabinets

One simple, inexpensive way to update your kitchen or bathroom is to paint your hardware. The kitchen at our new house is 20 years old, so it had the original brass knobs in the kitchen and bathrooms. Which also meant brass hinges, brass screws, etc. It may have been great in the 80's and 90's, but I was ready for a change.

So, in-between soccer practices, planning a graduation party and babysitting an extra two kids during the week - I decided to update the hardware in our kitchen and bathrooms. (Yes, I'm officially crazy!) I found some new knobs that I loved at Home Depot, but I didn't want to spend $300 on hinges just for our kitchen alone. So, I decided to spray-paint them with Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze. Over 300 painted screws and hinges later, the kitchen and bathrooms are finally done - and I love how they all turned out!

(My sore arms and fingers will thank me later.)

Here's the before - right after we moved in:




And the afters:













Once I rehung the cabinet doors with the painted hinges and replaced all the knobs, I removed the old felt pads with Goo Gone and applied new ones. Then, I cleaned all the cabinets inside and out with Scott's Liquid Gold wood cleaner to restore the wood. Just cleaning the cabinets alone made a huge difference in each room as they were shiny and looked like new again!

So glad it.is.done. One less thing on my home project to-do list!

Details:
Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint | Home Depot
Liberty Mandara 1-1/4" Cocoa Bronze Cabinet Knob | Home Depot
Scott's Liquid Gold wood cleaner + preservative | Kroger
Goo Gone | Home Depot
Small round felt pads | Home Depot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...