First off, we picked up Jake's friends Josh and Michael and surprised him when his plane arrived at the airport Sunday around 6pm.
We had quite the exciting crew waiting for him in the waiting room:
(The boys were trying to look as miserable as possible, and I think they won. Ha!)
We had red and blue decorations everywhere.
And a homemade sign by me and Brooklyn.
She made these funny letter people all by herself.
Our little party at home:
We blessed the meal, and the boys made a toast with their cool IBC root beers - the best root beer there is.
Then, it was time for pizza.
And a good ol' fashioned silly string fight in the front yard.
Jake opened presents.
Which included a note explaining the big birthday surprise that will be coming soon.
The Happy Birthday song was sung before cookie cake, cupcakes and ice cream were devoured.
The boys ended their night-before-school with a quick 30-minute video game.
And Jake's favorite candy bags for the boys to take home.
Love this precious son of mine. My first-born. The one who made me the mom I am today.
Here are 12 things I love and appreciate about Jake:
1. His easy-going, laid back personality.
2. He loves having fun.
3. He loves others well by giving words of affirmation and spending quality time together.
4. He has a big heart.
5. He looks for the needs of others.
6. His avid love for reading. He reads hundreds of pages in different books every week.
7. He isn't afraid to be different and stand apart from his peers.
8. He knows right from wrong and asks forgiveness when he's done wrong.
9. He offers help whenever needed.
10. He loves our church family and looks forward to attending youth group and church every week.
11. He realizes the difference between money and earthly things and true joy that only comes from God.
12. He fights with his sister but always makes it right.
He's definitely a keeper in our book - and a handsome one, at that! We love you, Jacob. Happy 12th Birthday!