-->

Monday, April 28, 2014

Overcoming the Curse of Words

"'I didn't get it, so I can't give it.' Well, if you're a child of God, you have a blessing in your life that is greater than any human parent, even the best of human parents, could have ever given to you. Our giving the blessing to others is really ultimately dependent upon our receiving first, by faith, the blessing from God." Nancy Leigh DeMoss on Revive our Hearts

Words can either speak life or encouragement into someone or they can be a curse of hurt and pain. I know first-hand how words of "You aren't good enough. You aren't worthy. You don't measure up. I don't want you." can make one feel. I've gone through my parent's divorce, my mom's remarriage, a falling out with my dad and grandma for 17 years, my own divorce, my own remarriage...and now, I'm putting all the pieces back together as we live life as a blended family.

It hasn't been easy, but with the help of God, my husband and parents, our church family and my BSF group, I've come a long way over the years. I've broken free from the lies and curses I've been told in the past, and replaced those with God's words of truth. I've experienced God's grace, peace and healing power like never before.

But, the biggest thing is - I've accepted the blessing of God in my life.

"The blessing of God in your life, if you're a child of God, is more powerful than any curse that anyone could put upon you." Nancy Leigh DeMoss

Without even realizing it, I've followed Nancy Leigh DeMoss' steps in Overcoming the Curse of Words:

1. Realize that you can break free through Christ, His cross. In the cross, there is provision for overcoming every curse that can take place in your life on this planet.

2. Review the words that have been spoken to you in light of the Word of God and ask yourself: Does this measure up with God's Word? Is this true? 

3. Reject the words that aren't true. If they don't agree with the Word of God, then reject them. They can only have power over you if you receive those words as being true.

4. Renew your mind with the Word of God. Don't let those words have control over your life anymore. Fill your mind with the truth of God's Word.

5. Receive that blessing from the Lord, the blessing that He wants to give you through His Word.


Over the years, I've come to realize and know deep in my heart -

I am healed. I am free. I am a child of God and I am loved. 

I'm not branded by sin or condemnation. I'm covered by His love. His mercy. His unending grace. 

And I pray you know and experience that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...