-->

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Getting Fit // Starting My Workout Routine

I have been going back and forth with strep, the flu, various other sicknesses and just plain tiredness since Christmas, so I decided it was high-time to take better care of myself and live a healthier lifestyle. We've already made some healthy adjustments to our meals at home, but with my dad dying from a sudden heart attack at age 60 and with heart disease running rampant in my family - I knew that wasn't enough. I had to start exercising regularly, but I had no idea where to start. Especially without a gym membership.

Then just recently, a couple of my friends recommended Jillian Michaels' workout DVD's, and I thought - "What do I have to lose?" With just $10 for the video and a pair of hand weights, I was off and ready to give it a shot.

This is the first week of starting my new workout routine and so far it's going great! Most days I wake up and get my workouts in after the big kids go to school and on busy days, I do them at night after the kids go to bed. My goal is to continue with the Level 1 20-minute workouts (focusing on strength, cardio and abs) each day during the week, and then slowly work up to Levels 2 and 3. But, I have to say - even the Level 1 workouts make me break into a sweat and work me to the core! Something that really surprised me, but it's one awesome workout to do at home. (Even if I do think Jillian is a Fitness Beast. Lordy.)

And if I skip a day or two here and there? No big deal, I'm not going to stress about it. I want to give myself grace as a full-time mom with three kids, but I also want to push myself and make exercise a priority. Not to mention, I want to be a good example for my kids to stay fit and healthy as they grow older too.

It's kinda hard to skip when I have this cute little workout buddy by my side:


We take walks around the neighborhood almost every day, so that's a good workout in and of itself!



I have more energy and feel so much better overall, so I know this is going to be a good thing...for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...