-->

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Loving and Serving Others


I'll be honest. We're not in a small group right now. And we're currently not serving at church on Sundays. I've helped out in the church nursery or children's area at every church I've attended since I was a teen, so this has been a weird season of life for me.

Loving and serving others is important to me and something I feel we're all called to do as the body of Christ. But, the one thing I'm giving myself - the 35-year-old self with three young kids is GRACE. I'm learning to serve, but in a different kind of way. Being intentional with my time, while keeping my husband and kids a priority. Not spreading myself too thin. Savoring whatever white space I have left over.

I'm learning to love and serve others everywhere I go. Family members who need a listening ear. Friends who are having a bad day and need a little pick-me-up. Neighbors who have cancer and are in need of warm meals and hair scarves for chemo. Teachers who need notes of encouragement and support. Children who need cared for during BSF leaders meetings each week. Crossing guards. The mailman. The homeless man on the side of the street. Even the checkout lady at Walmart needs to be loved on and served with a smile for she surely doesn't see that enough.

The kids have gotten involved. They've been creative and excited in using their time and money to help others, truly giving from the heart. And to me, that's what it's all about. Giving all that we have to help others, not expecting a thing in return. It's seeing a need and using our gifts and talents and money and time to meet that need or at least make a difference in one person's life.

Being the hands and feet of Jesus...it's truly an awe-inspiring thing.

It's not about us, it's all about Him.

Whether it's serving within church doors or serving in our neighborhoods or on the streets. God knows our hearts. He knows our desires. Our hopes and dreams. He knows each season of life that we're in and uses us for His glory just as He sees fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...