-->

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Mother and Daughter

Having an 11-year-old boy in the house is a whole new world. There's the soccer team and band practice after school. Middle school dances. Mindcraft challenges. Church all-nighters. Trips to the movies and skating rink with friends.

Jake's social life has totally boomed this year - and that's a good thing!

But, in the middle of chauffeuring Jake around and taking care of Connor and all the needs of a two-year-old during the day, I've realized that Brooklyn can easily get lost in the shuffle. Growing up as a middle child myself, I know how that can feel. So, I'm making it a point to spend more one-on-one time with my daughter in hopes that she'll always know how much she's loved.

Saturday was our big girls day, and we had so much fun. We went to see the show Many Moons with Tom Tichenor's marionette puppets at the downtown library, read books and played around in the kids area. We ate lunch at one of Brooklyn's favorite places - Steak-n-Shake. And picked out fun valentines for her class at Target.

We were silly and goofy and just enjoyed our time together. Something we don't do near enough and something we're going to do a lot more of.








This mother-daughter thing doesn't come easy. Truth is, I'm a much better boy-mom than I am a girl-mom. Some days come easy, some days are hard. But, my prayer is that I never give up, never stop trying, never stop loving, never stop forgiving, never stop giving grace. For she is beautiful and smart, sweet and loving, funny and kind, and so worth fighting for.

Even on our hardest battle-of-the-wills and emotional days, I choose to love and honor my daughter. I choose to believe in her. I choose to treasure her.

And when I mess up (Lord knows I always do), we'll hug. We'll dry the tears. And we'll start fresh again tomorrow. Thankful for yet another new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...