-->

Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Healthier Way of Living

Okay, so have any of you read this book?


I have never been into diets, fads or weight loss programs. I'm not a big health nut, and I don't go to the gym anymore. But...I came across this book a couple months ago on one of my random "mom only" nights. It was on the bargain shelf at Barnes and Noble, and I couldn't resist. I stayed up late that night, reading the night away.

Everything I read made so much sense. Based on interviews, research and test panel results, the authors determined that readers can lose remarkable amounts of weight eating the foods they like best - as long as they eat within a set 8-hour time period. No gimmicks. No specialty foods to buy. No counting calories. Just eat what you want within your 8-hours - and drink plenty of water whenever you want. The authors said this timed-eating strategy, even just three days a week, will reset your metabolism so you can enter fat-burning mode first thing in the morning - and stay there all day long. Which is how humans ate from the beginning of time.

"Up until the beginning of the 20th century, human life operated according to a natural system of biorhythms. We slept when it got dark, and we awoke when it got light. And as a result, our bodies worked within the parameters of our hormonal cycles. Everything proceeded along with our natural circadian rhythms. And then some wiseguy named Edison came along and screwed it all up. One of the disadvantages of modern life is that it's screwing up our natural biorhythms, and as a result, it's making us fat. Our reliable body clocks have been turned into time bombs."

The biggest thing I've learned:

"Your eating schedule controls your metabolism. All-day eating, combined with nighttime snacking and artificial light results in a 'fat cycle': a constant flow of hunger hormones that makes you prone to cravings. When you confine those eating cues to an 8-hour period, you stop feeling hungry all the time." It's true!

I told Scot all about the book, and he was on board right away. He's been wanting to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle for a long time now, plus everything about it just made sense. So, we started our new eating schedule the first week of June.

We skip breakfast and try to stick to a 12-8pm eating schedule. I'm not going to lie, that first week was hard. My stomach growled like crazy in the mornings, but now it doesn't even phase me. In just 4 weeks, Scot and I both lost over 5 pounds. We feel lighter and healthier. We aren't as hungry during the day. Our bodies have adequate time to digest our food. The bottom line: We just feel better.

To us, it's not an 8-hour diet. It's a healthier way of living. And that works for us!

Nope, I wasn't paid to review this book. All thoughts and opinions expressed here are my very own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...