-->

Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day Baby Dedication // 2013

Today was a special day. Not only was it Mother's Day, but it was Connor's dedication day at church. We went to a separate dedication service at 4pm, where we had a small, intimate get-together with family. (We missed those in Ohio who couldn't come.)

We celebrated little Connor's life, prayed over him and publicly gave him over to the Lord. Knowing full-well Scot and I can't do this parenting thing on our own, as we desperately seek God's help and guidance and grace every single day.

It was a special time, remembering his birth story and first year or so of life:

Connor's little life came to be in an unusual way. One night in April 2011, I awoke at 3am with excruciating pain in my abdomen. Scot rushed me to the hospital, and they did various tests on me in the ER. I had no idea what was going on and why I was in so much pain. My OB/GYN and a surgeon finally came in and said, "You've thrown us for a loop. A cyst on your ovary has ruptured. And...you're pregnant." They removed my left ovary due to a bleeding artery and, amazingly - the "little bean" (as we called it) survived. I had frequent ultrasounds and visits to the doctor. I took progesterone pills every day for the first six months of my pregnancy. I was put on bedrest for a month. I had several scary moments, where my doctor and I weren't sure if the "little bean" would make it. But, by the grace of God, he did. Connor Michael Sheppard Cianci was born via C-section on December 7, 2011 at 8:17am weighing 9 lbs. 1 oz. and measuring 20.25 inches long. He was big and beautiful. A perfect addition to our new family of five. But, his story didn't stop there. 

Connor had chronic crying episodes, starting at just 3 weeks old. At 6 weeks, he had an upper GI x-ray done and was diagnosed with acid reflux. The doctor prescribed two reflux meds - which he took every day for the following six months. He spit up his formula constantly. At 8 weeks, he was diagnosed with a milk protein allergy. After trying several formulas with no luck, we finally switched him to a very expensive formula that could only be purchased online or through local pharmacies. At 9 weeks, he was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis and had emergency surgery at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. At 6 months, he underwent circumcision surgery. At 11 months, he was diagnosed with various food intolerances. By 14 months, there were only six foods he could eat and digest well. As his mom, I hit rock bottom. I prayed and prayed for the Lord to intervene and heal Connor. And He did just that a week later. I gave Connor whole milk, fruits, vegetables and dairy foods on a whim - and he's been fine ever since. 

The Lord healed our baby boy. Our little warrior. Our bundle of joy. 

We know God's going to use him. He's going to do great things.

And his life verse that we chose:

But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; 
consider what great things he has done for you. I Samuel 12:24





Love this little one to pieces - even when he's whiny and sick and doesn't want to sit still.


I'll always treasure this Mother's Day - along with Mother's Day 2008, when we dedicated Jacob and Brooklyn to the Lord. These are special moments as a mother that I'll never forget.


We have ups and downs. Good days and bad. Long days, short nights and everything in-between.

Oh, but this life sure is sweet. We're treasuring each day for all that it is. Spilled milk and all. (Really!)


Let your will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...