-->

Monday, May 6, 2013

A Refuge

[From the archives - originally posted April 6, 2010]

God has really been working in me lately. Between the Christian books and blogs I've been reading and our recent MOPS meetings, I have felt God stressing to me the importance of making our home a place of peace - a refuge for my little family.

When Scot's had a long day at work and the kids have had a long day at school, there is nothing better than coming home to a calm, clean and relaxing home. After all, that's what God has called us wives and mothers to do. Making our homes a refuge and place of shelter, protection, safety, relief, or escape.

Some might say this is impossible to do with little ones around. But, here are some easy things I've been doing to make our home more peaceful and purposeful:

1. Snack time.
When we're home, I try to lay out a snack for the kids before they come home from school. I have a snack, a drink and a little note on the counter just to let them know I am thinking of them, and I've been looking forward to them coming home.

2. Alone time.
Give dad some alone time as soon as he gets home from work. Even if it's just 5 to 10 minutes, I try to keep the kids out of our bedroom, so he can change clothes and adjust to being home. Alone. 

3. Family dinners. 
Dinnertime is our favorite time of the day, so we like to make it a fun event. We turn on music, light the candles and set the mood for our dinner together - even if it's something as simple as hotdogs and mac-n-cheese! We talk about the highs and lows of everyone's day, and each meal is memorable. I pray the kids will always treasure those special times as a family as they get older.

4. Prepared lunches.
After the kids go to bed, I make lunches for Scot and the kids every night. (Most of the time, Scot helps too.) It not only saves money, but they enjoy getting something from home each day. I try to include a little note just to let them know that I love them and I'm thinking of them.

5. Quality time.
Most importantly, I'm trying to have a better attitude and spend more quality time with my family. Whether it's family time or one-on-one dates with my husband or kids, that time is precious. The kids can choose one extracurricular activity or sport at a time, so we have more time together at home. Family meals and Sabbath Sundays are non-negotiable. Wii tournaments and ice cream dates are a must!

These are just some of the things I'm doing to make our home more of a special place. A place to escape from the pressures of everyday life. A place for my husband and kids to enjoy coming home to. A place where they are accepted and appreciated.

A refuge. A place where they are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...