-->

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Joy of Eating


I can't believe I'm saying this, but our boy is eating normal again. He's gone from getting diagnosed of a milk protein allergy at 8 weeks old to having pyloric stenosis surgery at 9 weeks, circumcision surgery at 6 months, a dairy-free diet with table foods at 11 months, diagnosis of various food intolerances at a year. With the constant diarrhea (including baths and 8-10 diaper changes most days), I finally took him to a pediatric allergist last month - only to be told he just had some food intolerances and we had to wait it out.

I was discouraged. Connor could only eat six foods at that point that we knew his body could tolerate and digest well. But, I didn't give up. I asked my Bible study girls to pray for him and prayed either for the Lord to heal him or to give me loads of patience as we waited this thing out.

The next week, I did what the allergist recommended: I started Connor on whole milk and other dairy, milk-based foods. [From his blood test at a year, he wasn't allergic to anything so we knew it was really just a digestive problem.] 

Crossing my fingers, I hoped for the best but I was scared to death.

Luckily, he hasn't had any trouble digesting the foods we've given him this past month, and we haven't looked back since. Cheese, yogurt, eggs, deli meat, fruits, veggies, spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, bread, tortillas, pancakes, cereal, vanilla wafers, goldfish - all those things kids typically eat at this age. And, now at 15 months, he can eat all of it! Praise God.

I can't go one day without thanking and praising God for this blessing. Such a simple thing, but I won't ever forget how far he's come. And the joy that food can bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...