-->

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Flu and Food Intolerance

So, we all ended up getting the stomach flu over the weekend and it was nasty. It went from Connor on Friday, to me and Jake on Saturday, to Scot and Brooklyn on Sunday night. Thankfully, Jake just had a light case, but the rest of us thought we were going to die. Add Connor's various food intolerances to the mix and I'll tell you, the past week hasn't been for the faint of heart.

Sadly, we've had a lot of days that looked like this:


and this:


After pushing myself to make a big grocery run (for lots of soup, crackers, Sierra Mist, Gatorade, Jello and popsicles), Connor and I headed to his first appointment to see a pediatric allergist at Vanderbilt on Tuesday.


The allergist was so sweet, but she basically reiterated everything my pediatrician had already told me. I am now well-versed on the differences between a true food allergy and a food intolerance, which is what Connor has. He's had so many food intolerances over the past 2 months (especially just recently), so we've narrowed it down to about 6 foods we know he can eat and digest well. From there, we're just going to keep re-introducing foods into his diet and eventually (along with extra doses of patience from mom), he should outgrow this and digest food normally one day. We hope.

Since Connor's gone from the dirty diapers of food intolerance right into stomach flu diapers 7-8 times a day, this poor kid's skin is just raw. I've tried over-the-counter creams and ointments, multiple prescription creams and soaking baths. Nothing's worked. So, I did more research this week and found this old burned flour diaper rash remedy:


and bag balm:


I was a little skeptical putting cow's udder cream on my baby's butt, but it seems to be working so I'm sticking to it! (You can buy it at Tractor Supply for $6 or CVS for $9.) Oh, and I stopped using baby wipes too.

We've spent a lot of time at home, so Brooklyn's made plenty of tents and forts.








And worked on plenty of crafts.



Jake and I have enjoyed reading books together at night. (He's into the huge 8th-grade level ones now.)




And Connor's enjoyed all that extra snuggle time with mom.





While practicing his dance moves at night. With a saggy diaper, no less. Love that boy to pieces. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...