-->

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

2012 Summer List and Goals

Jake's been home sick with a 102-degree fever and hives for the last couple days, so it was the perfect time to plan out the summer and make our annual summer list. (After some Tylenol, popsicles, Benadryl, warm bath and a nap, of course.)

Here's all the fun things we came up with:


(A lot different than last year's, huh? Bed rest is no fun for anyone.)

I also had Jake think ahead and make some personal goals for the summer, broken down into physical, mental and spiritual categories. (I got this great idea from Shawni at 71 Toes.) Jake stays with his dad for a month every summer, so he made goals for both places.

Here's his summer goals while he's home:


Physical
1. Ride bike 3 times per week
2. Eat fruits and veggies each day
3. Take swim lessons

Mental
1. Read 2 large chapter books per week
2. Review multiplication and division flash cards at least 3 times a week

Spiritual
1. Do devotions every day
2. Read one Bible story per day

At the end of every school year, I get excited for all my kids to be home again and for summer to start. But, I also dread it because I know Jake will be gone for a whole month in the summer. I stress and worry about him being gone, and then I stress and worry once he's home again. I guess that's because he's like a different kid when he comes home.

(Last summer he gained 10 pounds, grew out of all his clothes, his hair and nails hadn't been touched, he had terrible constipation pain, he was sleep-deprived and he had trouble sleeping at night. All in just 4 weeks time. In fact, he had such horrible fits at night that I finally took him to our family counselor for help. She said his sleep issues were caused by separation anxiety, but they finally went away within the first 2-3 weeks of being home.)

So, that's why I stress and worry before he leaves and when he comes home. In our situation, I think anyone would.

All that being said, I love the idea of my children making goals for the summer and I really think these will help them in the long-run. It will give them structure, keep them motivated and teach them responsibility as they get older. It will help them be well-rounded. And they'll see how good it feels to accomplish something each day.

All in all, the summer's looking pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. When you visit family in Ohio, you need to let me know. Maybe we could meet up for a few hours :) Would love to see you and your darling kids!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...