-->

Friday, May 4, 2012

I Can Rest

Jacob flew to his dad's for the weekend. This was his fifth time flying by himself and I have to say, these out-of-state flights don't get any easier.

There are so many thoughts that run through my mind as I watch him turn and walk down the gate with the flight attendant by his side.

Does he know how much I love him? Does he know how proud I am of him? Did I calm his nerves enough or say the right thing when he shared his worst fears? Could he tell I was nervous and sad to see him go? Did I get on him too much at dinner? Did he get enough to eat? Will he be nice and kind and respectful to the flight attendants and people sitting around him? Will he give out too much personal information to strangers? Did he get his emergency cell phone? Does he have enough money? What time will he get to bed? Will he have a good time?

Oh, the thoughts and worries are endless when a mother sends her 9-year old son off on a 400-mile plane flight by himself.

With tears in my eyes and a big lump in my throat, I look out the window and see both pilots wave at me and give me a "thumbs-up" from the cockpit. The tears flow freely, and I know it's time to let go. I have to give up control and trust that He'll do the rest. So I pray.

God, bless this plane tonight. Be with the pilots, the flight attendants and anyone else who comes in contact with my son. Please, God, protect those wings and that brave little boy onboard. Bring him home safe. I give him all to you. Amen.

Now, I can stand a little bit taller and walk a little bit lighter. Now, I can finally rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...