-->

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

School Tips

I can't believe it, but we've been back to school for about 4 weeks now. School days can make anyone go crazy, so I thought I'd share a few things we do to make our school days (and nights) easier.

Homework/snack time.

As soon as we get home from school, I put Brooklyn in her room for "quiet time" to read books while Jacob works on homework in the kitchen...with a little snack and drink, of course. This is something I've done ever since Jake was in kindergarten. It gives us a little quiet time together before the dinner chaos begins. Plus, it teaches him to work first, then play.

Routine.

We are big on structure in our home. (Mainly because of me. Remember the potty chart I made for Brooklyn last year?) In four short weeks, I was already tired of reminding Jake to do little things and repeating myself a zillion times, so I made these morning and night-time steps and hung them in his room, right by his door.


Now, there's never a question of what he needs to do before school or before he goes to bed and I don't have to say a word. :) I think I may make some for Brooklyn's room while I'm at it.

Spelling words.

For the last couple of weeks, I have typed Jacob's weekly spelling words in a Word document and printed them out. This works out great because he can practice his spelling words anytime, anywhere. Now, I just need to get him started on typing them each week on his own and we'll be set!


Multiplication facts.

Jacob's teacher has already started the year off with two-minute math drills in multiplication, so I am helping him practice by making our own timed tests at home.


Breakfast.

Every night, I set out Jacob's breakfast on the counter (with his spelling list to review) and fill his cup with milk. It makes our mornings so much easier when all he has to do is pull his cup of milk out of the fridge and everything is ready for him to eat.


Lunch.

The same goes for lunches. I always make lunches the night before and put them in the fridge so they're ready to go in the morning. I've been doing it this way for so long, I can't imagine doing it any other way.


Well, there you go! Just a few tips that have helped our family along the way on those crazy school days.

If you have any other school tips that help your family avoid the chaos, I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...