-->

Friday, February 4, 2011

Flashback Friday {Our love story}

I started this little blog in August 2008. Jacob was 6 and Brooklyn was 9 months old. There are so many moments that happened before then, so I'm going to start doing Flashback Fridays to document those special memories that happened before I had a blog. If nothing else, it will serve as my personal scrapbook for the kids to enjoy reading one day.

As you all know, we are a blended family. I thought I would share how Scot and I met so you would know how our love story came to be.

::

I got divorced in April 2004 when Jacob was just 20 months old. I was in a bad place at the time. I was sad. Hurt. Angry. Depressed. I was in shock that God allowed this bad situation to happen to me. I attended my weekly Divorce Care meetings regularly and I'll never forget what one lady told me. She said, "One day, God will use what you've gone through and He will make something beautiful of your life."

I didn't fully believe it at the time, but that's exactly what God did.

I was a stay-at-home mom suddenly thrown into the workforce again. I got hired through a temp agency and took whatever job came my way. Desk jobs, factory jobs, nannying. Meanwhile, my older sister kept Jacob full-time so I could go to work and avoid paying the high cost of daycare. There were tiring days, long nights and regular days and weekends without my son. I was lonely. And insecure.

But, God was faithful.

Through the summer, God really worked in my life. He continued to provide for me and my son and He started changing my heart. He helped me to put the anger and bitterness aside. And I dealt with some issues from my past. In my heart and mind, I felt ready to love someone again. And ready to accept love again.

So, after some prodding from my sister and brother-in-law, I joined eHarmony. I wasn't looking for perfection or Prince Charming this time around. I was looking for an open and honest man who had a genuine relationship with God, first and foremost. And someone to love and accept both me and my two year old son. I made it clear on my profile that I had a son and we were a "package deal."

I was matched with Scot on August 16, 2004, and we hit it off right away. We communicated through the eHarmony site at first then exchanged e-mail addresses and phone numbers after that. We talked on the phone constantly.

Our first meeting in person was in early October. (Did I mention I lived in Ohio at the time?) Scot drove all the way from Tennessee to Ohio on a Friday afternoon and visited for the weekend. I'll never forget walking out with Jacob on my hip and reaching out for our first hug. Scot hugged both of us and he told me later that he instantly knew this was his new family. It just felt right. For all of us.

He proposed a month later and we made plans for me and Jacob to move to Tennessee in February. I quit my job, packed everything up and left all my family behind to make a new life. Jacob and I moved into Scot's three bedroom home, while Scot moved back with his parents until we got married.

We were married on July 2, 2005, at a wedding chapel nearby. Jacob walked me down the aisle, he was almost three. It was a very small and simple wedding. Just perfect for us, our second time around.

And I guess you could say, the rest is history.

We have 5 1/2 years of marriage under our belt. And an 8 year old and a 3 year old whom we love to pieces. It hasn't always been easy. We've had a lot of good days and plenty of bad days. We've been through counseling. We've worked through pain. God brought us together in His timing and I'm so grateful. I know, without a doubt, my husband loves the Lord, he loves me no matter what and he'll do whatever it takes to provide for his family. He is a great father. A great housekeeper. A strong, faithful man. My own Prince Charming.


Yes, God really did work a miracle and make something beautiful of my life. And He's not finished with us yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...