-->

Friday, March 18, 2011

Flashback Friday {Brooklyn's birth story}

[Documenting those special moments before I started blogging.]


"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him,
rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught,
and overflowing with thankfulness." 
Colossians 2:6-7


It all started on Monday night - April 2, 2007. We had just tucked Jacob in bed for the night. I wasn't feeling well, so I went into the bathroom and took a random pregnancy test. I looked down at the stick in my hands and two pink lines quickly appeared.

I was in shock. Scot was getting ready to leave for a night out with the guys when I called him into the bathroom to tell him the news.

We were both elated. But, we were scared too. Scot had completed his last day of work at SunTrust just a few days before. At Christmastime, the bank decided to downsize his department and, unfortunately, his investment career of eight years was just gone. Scot was spending his days applying for jobs and working on his ebay business at home. And now, suddenly, we were having a baby. With no tangible assurance we could afford one more little mouth to feed, let alone the three of us at home.

It was an exciting, worrisome and scary time for us. We had to learn to be patient and rely solely on God. We had to stick to a tight budget and save every penny we had. God provided for us in every way during those long seven months of unemployment. There wasn't one single day that went by where our needs weren't met. Scot was eventually offered a full-time job at a stable, family-oriented company. And then He blessed us with this unexpected life growing inside me. Our surprise. Our bundle of joy.

My pregnancy couldn't have gone better. My scheduled C-section felt like a breeze. Much different than my first delivery, thank goodness. We couldn't wait to find out if Jacob was going to have a little brother or little sister. And what a surprise - God gave us a girl! Brooklyn Elisabeth was born on Thursday, November 29, 2007 at 8:28am, weighing 8 lbs. 1 oz. and measuring 20 inches long. Just a week earlier than my original December 5th due date. She had rosy cheeks and a full head of brown hair. She was beautiful and healthy. A sweet, laid-back girl from the start. We all fell in love with her. Especially her 5-year-old brother.

Brooklyn and I stayed in the hospital for two short days before we were discharged and went home. Scot was amazing and spent the first week at home with me and the kids. And then he went back to work. Meanwhile, I was itching to get out with the kids and drive again. Our first outing was at Target when Brooklyn was just a week old!

I was excited and ready to begin our new life together. Our new life as a family of four.

Sometimes I think back to the days when Brooklyn was first conceived, and it may have seemed like the worst timing in the world. But, I know without a doubt that God had a much bigger plan. His timing was perfect in every way. And we are so blessed to have Brooklyn with us.

She has joined us together, our blended family. Our hearts are full. Our hearts are happy. Our lives are forever changed now that she's here. 


We love you, Brooklyn. You'll always be our sweet baby girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...