-->

Friday, January 7, 2011

Goals for 2011

I am not the type to make New Year's resolutions, but this year I wanted to list some goals that I'd like to accomplish or at least work on over the next 12 months.

So, without further ado (and in no particular order.) My goals for 2011.

Get organized.
I want to make our home more functional and make use out of every square inch that we own. I've already cleaned out and reorganized our kitchen cabinets, pantry and cabinets in the laundry area this week.




I've decided to start the new year off with a bang. :)

Now the garage is a monster all its own...which will have to be conquered sometime this spring. I'm already dreading it, but I know it will be amazing when it's done!

Eat healthier.
I want to eat healthier, fix healthier meals and snacks for the kids and buy healthier food. I've never been one of those health nuts, but I'm realizing how important it is to provide healthier foods for my family - especially my kids. We have started buying all our meat from a local butcher shop, which tastes totally different from the meat they sell in grocery stores. It doesn't cost much more than what we used to pay at the store and now we know exactly where it's coming from. And it's packaged fresh. I'm also buying more fruits and vegetables. I'll still buy some sugary cereals and processed foods from time to time, but those won't be a part of our staple food items every day.

Drink more water.
Let's face it, I hate drinking water. But, I got several new insulated cups for Christmas and as silly as it sounds, I really think that will help.

Exercise.
Maybe I should actually use our Y membership this year and not let it go to waste...I just need to get motivated and stay motivated. I know, random family swim outings don't count.

Read more.
I have piles and piles of books on my side of the bed and I never have the chance to read them. This year, I'm going to make the time to read books since I love to read.

Make family devotions a priority.
We have done family devotions in the past, but we've never been super consistent with them. So, this week I started something new. I woke up with Jake before school and made him eggs, toast or waffles for breakfast. Then, we read his Jesus Calling devotional (for kids) together while he ate breakfast. It has been such a neat thing for us to spend those 30 minutes together before he leaves for the day. Something I hope to continue. And something I hope he always remembers.

Pray for our kids each day.
For their salvation, their character, their future spouses, their day-to-day lives. I haven't been doing this as much as I should, but I'm going to do better this year.

Go to bed earlier.
This is a no-brainer, but something my husband has tried to help me with for the past five years. No kidding. I'm a total night owl, so the mornings are a killer for me. I have to tell myself that going to bed before midnight is not such a bad thing after all, right?

Make a monthly menu plan.
I usually fly by the seat of my pants when I cook meals each night (or plan ahead sporadically), but this year I am making a monthly menu plan on my google calendar. It's super easy and best yet, it's free. I just jot down which meals I'm going to make and I can change the options so they repeat every two weeks. I can print it out and put it on my fridge. This will help me stay on budget and only shop for the items I need each week. And, it will keep me sane. :)

Get in touch with nature.
Scot and I have been in love with Sarah Palin's Alaska show on TLC lately. It is neat to see how much time her family spends together doing things outdoors. It has made both of us want to learn how to fish and hike and spend time with nature. Well...except hunting. And guns. I don't think I'm quite ready to yank out a rifle in our backyard or anything, but I definitely want to start hiking and go camping with the kids this year. Those will be special memories I know we'll always remember.

Just trying to make my life easier. One little step at a time.

What about you? Do you have any goals for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...