-->

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Amazing story

I came across the site of Rachel Barkey today and her story is amazing. She was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer at just 37 years old and God called her home last summer.

She spoke to a crowd of 600 women a few weeks before she passed away. These are my favorite words from her message.

Death is not dying.
Cancer does not define me. Neither does being a wife or a mother. All these things are part of who I am but they do not define me. What defines me is my relationship with Jesus.
Important truths that have given me joy in the face of death: Know God, Know Yourself, Know the Gospel and Know Your Purpose. 
My main purpose in life is to be like Jesus and to serve others with joy.

Truly inspirational.

I know I serve my husband, my kids, my family, my friends and others every day, but how many times do I serve them with pure joy? I am embarrassed to admit that it's not very often. It is sickening to think how many times I get caught up in my own little world and serve others when it is convenient for me. Oh, how I pray that God changes my self-centered heart.

Go to her site and watch her 50-minute speech. You won't regret it. And don't forget the tissues.

And thank you, Lord, for using Rachel's life to minister to me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...