-->

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Don't worry

This is what I've been learning in my online Bible study on the book "Hidden Joy in a Dark Corner: The Transforming Power of God's Story" written by Wendy Blight...

"Anxiety divides our mind and distracts us from our relationship with God. It is self-centered and counterproductive. It causes us to fix our eyes on our circumstances rather than on God. Anxiety occurs when worry becomes the dominating factor in our lives. Proverbs 12:25 says, 'An anxious heart weighs a man down.'

Prayer on the other hand, is God-centered. Prayer fixes our thoughts on who God is and on what He can do. It draws us away from our worries and presses us closer to the heart of God. We have confidence to pray because we know the One to whom we pray is sovereign, wise, and in control of every detail of our lives. In John 16:33, Jesus reminds us that, 'I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.'

Anxiety and prayer are opposing forces that cannot coexist. They cause a battle in our minds, and one will always win out over the other. It is up to us to choose which one will govern our lives. Will we choose to fix our eyes on our troubles or fix our eyes on God?"

Excerpts taken from Chapter 5 in "Hidden Joy in a Dark Corner" by Wendy Blight.

Powerful stuff.

I don't want a life governed by worry and fear. I choose to fix my eyes on God and put my worries aside. I choose to rid my heart and mind of any negative thoughts and bow to the truth of God's Word. Then I will experience true peace and contentment which only comes from Him.

What an awesome way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...