-->

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Slow recovery

Things have been crazy this week but I wanted to give you all an update on how Jacob is doing. I didn't quite know what to expect once we brought Jacob home from his surgery on Friday. Maybe I was naive or uninformed, but I thought he would bounce back fairly quickly. Needless to say, things are going much different than I thought.

Jacob has been a completely different person since his surgery. His speech, behavior and sleep patterns have changed dramatically. Some of those things are normal after surgery, but I wasn't prepared for the extent of it all. We couldn't understand hardly anything that Jacob said for the first several days - and I mean, barely anything. There were many times when he had to repeat a word or sentence 4 or 5 times just for us to guess or understand what he was saying.

He is very quiet and lethargic most of the time, which I know is normal to an extent after surgery. But, his mood doesn't change so it seems like he's depressed. He rarely smiles, rarely laughs, rarely plays, rarely eats....he just isn't himself. He says he isn't sad, so I'm hoping it's just part of the recovery process.

Jacob has also been having night terrors during the last three nights. Thankfully, we could console him the first couple nights so it wasn't too bad. But, last night was absolutely horrible! We awoke around 1:00am to find Jacob crying, screaming, kicking, thrashing, and talking jibberish in his bed. His eyes were open but he did not look at us or recognize us - it was like he was sleeping with his eyes open. We tried everything to talk to him and console him but nothing worked - it was like he was possessed. Scot and I were scared out of our minds and didn't know what to do so we prayed. I laid down next to Jacob and held him close as best as I could and he eventually went back to sleep. Scot and I were worried about keeping Jacob safe in his delirious state so Scot decided to sleep on the couch. Jacob awoke again a couple hours later with another night terror but we were more prepared that time.

Jacob had another night terror after taking a much-needed nap this afternoon. He was dripping wet with sweat and completely delirious, but it wasn't too difficult to get him calmed down.

I called the ENT doctor's office today and the doctor said the night terrors could be an extremely rare effect from the anesthesia. I did my own research and I think he is experiencing some bad side effects from the pain meds - hydrocodone (generic for lortab or vicodin). We have stopped using the pain meds and we're giving him regular Tylenol instead so we'll see if the night terrors improve.

I pray he gets to feeling better soon. I miss my baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...